Sunday, February 7, 2010

Training: Week of Jan. 31, 2010

Total mileage: 102
Races: none

Sun - Afternoon 16m @7.25   Total - 16

Mon - Morning 4m - 2m snowshoe @9.05 & 2m road @7.42;  Evening 10m @7.13   Total - 14

Tue - Morning 4m @7.44;  Evening 12m - 5 x 1200 with 1/2m recovery(3.57, 3.59, 3.56, 3.59, 3.58)
           warmup @7.43, cooldown @7.38  Total - 16

Wed - Morning 4 1/2m @7.50 with strides;  Evening 9 1/2 @7.41  Total - 14

Thu - Morning 4m @7.40;  Afternoon 11m - 4m progressive run(6.25, 6.16, 6.07, 5.55) warmup @~7.20,
           cooldown @~7.00  Total - 15

Fri - Morning 4m @~7.30;  Evening 7m @~7.45 in heavy snow in Blacksburg, VA @ 10:00pm  Total - 11

Sat - Morning  10m - 5m on treadmill on 15% @12.44 & 5m @<8.00>
          Evening 6m @7.46  Total - 16

January Summary:
Total Mileage - 386 (Highest mileage month ever; previous - 365)
Races - 2
1/2 Tsali Frosty Foot Fest 50K 1st 3:46.09
1/9 Little River Trail Run 10Miler 4th 1:07.07

I had not planned on three quality days this week.  I just felt pretty good and things just worked out that way.  I was pleased with the VO2 Max workout on Tuesday as I averaged 3.58.  I did the workout on the road near my home.  A few years ago I rolled out 1 mile with marks at 50 meters, 100, 200, 300, 400, 600, 800, 1/2 mile, 1000, 1200, 1400, and 1 mile.  It is relatively flat for around here.  I would have liked to have run all 3.57s, which is an obsession of mine.  Alison laughs at my obsession as I felt these repeats were too variable.  I like to aim at perfect workout pacing, it is part of the fun for me.  In October, I ran a 10 x 1 mile close to perfect.  The first 9 were all 5.56, but I sped up a little on the last one and ran 5.55.80.  All ten repeats were within 1 second, but the middle 8 were all within .6 seconds.  That was fun, in my mind.

On Friday, Alison had surgery in Charlotte on her left knee to clean up the cartilage behind the knee cap.  During the surgery, I was directed to a conference room to talk to the surgeon, Dr. Perry, a well resumed orthopedic surgeon.  I knew what was coming and didn't really want to be in that position.  Dr. Perry showed me some pictures of inside Alison's knee.  There was a nickel size area where the cartilage had complete separated from the bone.  It was under the weight bearing portion of the medial condyle.  Dr. Perry was recommending a microfracture procedure be done and wanted my approval.  Microfracture means six weeks non-weightbearing, not even a trainer or stationary bike.  And no running for 3-6 months.  Plus for 4-5 weeks, she is supposed to have her leg in a devise that passively moves her leg for about 8 hours a day.  So approve this for your wife who is currently unconscious.  But one of Dr. Perry's statements made it much easier.  He said that she is done running without microfracture or a more complicated procedure of cartilage replacement which would require two more surgeries.  So Alison woke up with the microfracture surgery.  She was immediately concerned about work as she will be out six weeks instead of a couple of days and they are already short staffed.

So I drove her home through the snow, helped get her situated, and immediately left.  I had been scheduled to help officiate at a Virginia Tech track meet in Blacksburg, VA.  I had to drive in more freezing rain and snow.  Plus since the surgery had taken longer and the drives been slower, I couldn't get my run in until after the Friday track meet portion.  I had to run late in a cold, heavy snowfall and deep snow on the ground.  It was such a chore, woe is me.  Actually, the run was rather fun and just playing in the snow.  I was thankful to have the opportunity and choice to be out running.  In fact, when a run is rough, I often tell God I'm thankful just be out running.  Just to ease any concerns, Alison is good and will soon be planning what her next running race will be.  We've already talked about her possibly walking Mt. Washington with Richard Fedion.  That's my week in running, hope yours has been good.

No comments:

Post a Comment