Sunday, January 31, 2010

Training: Week of Jan. 24, 2010

Total mileage: 61
Races: none

Sun - Morning 4m @7.29;  Afternoon 9m @~7.38   Total - 13

Mon - Morning 4 1/2m @7.22 with strides;  Afternoon 9 1/2m @7.26   Total - 14

Tue - Morning 4m @7.33;  Afternoon 9m - Bailed out of mountain workout at Pilot Mtn. after two .5 mile
          repeats.  Just didn't have any legs, so ran up and downthe mountain.  Total - 13

Wed - Off

Thu - Morning 4m @7.44;  Afternoon 6m @7.20   Total - 10

Fri - Morning 4m @7.30  Worked moving trees all day to prepare for snow, until about 8pm.     Total - 4

Sat - Morning - up at 3am clearing snow off of greenhouses;  Afternoon 6m @7.41 in snow; Evening 1m
         snowshoe running and 2 1/2m snowshoe hike withAlison  Total - 7 running

No races again this week.  I had planned on doing a snowshoe race in NH, but the snow canceled my plans.  I haven't run a race since the 9th and probably won't get to until Feb. 13.  My back got out of sorts about mid-week anyway.  I felt it spasm or whatever while working in the nursery.  All the heavy lifting and then dragging and pushing snow late in the week didn't help.  My working is really interfering with my running.  I think it is more of a work problem than a running addiction issue.  Anyway, I got an appointment with my chiropractor for this Friday.  I started seeing him in 1998 because of back issues.  The back is something I'm always managing.  Alison is having surgery on her left kne
e that morning in Charlotte.  So she will be on the mend this spring again, but hopefully this will get her straightened out.  She had surgery on the right knee in the fall of 2008 which helped that knee significantly.

We got about 9" of snow here on Friday night and Saturday, some places around got 17".  I'm glad we didn't get the 17", that would have just been more work.  This is the second significant snowfall this winter.  We hadn't had a snowfall of more than 2" since 1996 before this winter.  When I was growing up we had significant snowfalls basically every winter, so we may just be going back to normal winters.  In the last 13 years, I think everyone has forgotten what snow is.  At least people were smarter with the snow this time.  In December when it snowed 10', we had right at 500 accidents in 24 hours in Surry county.  The previous high was around 200.  There was a report of 1 weather related death yesterday.  Here's an excerpt from the local newspaper: 

“He went out to his vehicle to crank it, and to remove the snow,” Surry Emergency Services Director said of the incident occurring about 6:40 a.m. at the man’s home.
He suffered the heart attack inside his residence after returning from clearing away snow, with subsequent resuscitation efforts failing.
“Indirectly, it’s attributable to the storm, no doubt,” the EMS director said of the death, adding that it illustrates the extra care people should take during snowy and chilly situations.

The news in small towns.  Sorry for the man's death, but was this "weather" related or health/fitness related.  I believed there has been several weather related orgasms as well.  Or it could have been people stuck at home, bored, having sex.  But weather related orgasms sounds better.  This is what I was thinking about on my run in the snow yesterday.  I can just picture the verb exchange:  "What do think about all this snow?"  "It's alright I reckon, but I did have a weather related orgasm."  Hope you've had a weather related orgasm recently.  (We'll see if my censor will approve this.)



Cory and I running in December as snow was falling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment