Monday, February 27, 2012

La Sportiva Mountain Cup: Ugly Mudder

I tricked Ryan Woods into driving up to PA together for Ugly Mudder this weekend. That way I'd have someone to talk to on the long drive up and a back. Ryan and I have gotten together for several runs over the last couple of years, but this was our first road trip. On the drive up, we talk mostly about running, but as I do, I eventually drifted off into my story telling.Which had Ryan saying a couple of times, “I didn't know that about you.” Which tells me he obviously doesn't read my blog, at least the non-running parts. Anyway this made us realize that we've basically always talked running when we get together. The 14 hour up and back road trip, plus hotel stay, was much the same, mostly running with a few Jason stories. So on to the running.

Ugly Mudder is the third stop on the Mountain Cup train and is a burner of sorts at just 7 miles. Fast is not really my forte, but I'm willing to put my head on the chopping block. Mine grows back like a lizards tail. Warming up, I saw Matt Byrne, then Gina Lucrezi, then Maria Dalzot with her coach Tad. There were a few Rosemont Running Club guys who come to my 10km Championships in NC. This trail racing thing is beginning to become a gathering of friends no matter where I travel. I like that. And as usually I met a few new folks here.


We had about 600 meters on a road at the start, then we turned up a trail and were on trail almost exclusively the rest of the way. The course was technical rocky, turns, mud. No long climbs but steep leg burners and quick rocky descents. My Highgear watch had
the total climbing at 1500'. By a mile I'd settled into 5th with a couple of guys right behind me. Around 2 miles we hit a big climb and I could see all but Woods spread up the hill. I could see 3rd and 4th were coming back a little. Then we began a longer descent with 4th staying in sight mostlyand 3rd just coming into view periodically. Near the bottom I lost sight of the other two guysand started to go off course, but the guy just behind hollered his off course warning. I'd just lost about 50 yards. As we came out to some open straights the other two guys didn't come back into sight. I was surprised as I had been closing on them some. Could they have taken off that much? Could they have missed the same turn I had? I caught the guy who'd gotten in front me while I detoured and passed back in front of him. The last twenty minutes I tried to mount a little charge, but no one came into sight even on some very long straightaways. I finished and asked what place am I? Third. I'll take it with Ryan and Matt in the race. I was glad slip into this short Mountain Cup race and slip away with a third. My training has been ultra focused lately as well. Nueces 50 Mile next weekend.

Ryan and I did quick cooldown, drive to hotel, shower, drive back to race and time to socialize. It was good to hang with Matt a little and his friend Patrick. I got to catch up some with Gina and Maria. Tell some lies to Ian. A good, quick road trip race. So am I running the Mountain Cup just to fill my social calendar?


The results I know:Guys -

1st Ryan Woods – 47?

2nd Matt Byrne – 47?

3rd Jason Bryant – 52?


Ladies, plus Tad -

1st Maria Dalzot (Her coach Tad finish before her)

2nd Gina Lucrezi

I'll try to get pics at the next race. That way I can showoff my goat beard I'm working on. It was Alison's idea... sort of... by accident. But don't give me any ideas, I'm very prone to suggestion.

Thanks to Janice Ellis and Perry Ligon for the pics.


Other running news for those of you who are lost and found my blog:

My good friend Mark Lundblad crushed (my words, not his) the Fastest Known Time for the Foothills Trail along the NC/SC border this weekend. 14:26:18

I really just wanted to post that on my blog just so I can be associated with Mark. I'd consider that a honored association.

19 comments:

  1. My wife(the woman who took your gear bag to Ian) got some very good photos of you, Ryan, Matt, Maria & Gina making the final climb up to the finish. I'll be sure to share them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please tell your wife thank you for the pictures. It is always nice when someone is able to capture a special moment for you. If possible, may I please have a copy of my finish for the Inov-8 blog? I am showing off the ProSoc 22! ;)

      Thank you,
      Maria
      mldalzot@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Tell her thanks for shuttling my gear back to the finish. If you send me some photos, I'll add them to the blog. I take a camera, but get too social to remember to take photos. Plus I seldom get photos of me running. Hope you had a good race yesterday.

    jb - runningmtn.goat@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason, your blog post helped me to piece together what may have happened at the Ugly Mudder. I was in 4th place coming down the long descent after the Pagoda, and I kept on going straight down a trail instead of bearing right and going uphill. By the time I got back on course, I was in 13th-15th place. I worked my way back up to 5th by the end but no more. The guy who was in 3rd after the Pagoda (Brent Wright) must've done the same thing but gone down even further than me. He wound up 6th right behind me. Did you start to go down the same way after us and got called off by some others? I think you were in 5th at that time? You ran a nice race! Congrats!

    Ryan Bair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did start down the same trail, I think. And there were several guys pretty close behind. Sorry you got off course. I spent the rest of the time really looking hard for any turns. Hope your group returns to Continental Divide this year.

      jb

      Delete
  4. It happens. I should've been paying closer attention. I'm just glad more people didn't go off course. That was a bit of a problem last year with the first 15 runners going off course. Hope you guys enjoyed your trip up north. I know the head of our group is trying to coordinate another trip down for the Continental Divide. Would have liked to have talked to you guys more after the race, but I had to take care of my knee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it would be nice to hang more. How was the knee? Did you need sticks?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, just a few stitches. It actually hurt more later that night than during the race....must've been the adrenaline.

      Delete
  5. Photos are on the way.

    Had a blast Sunday! Stayed upright through the run until I caught a toe & took a dive 200' before that final climb - whatta' hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are 2 ways to learn about you Jason. 1. a road trip 2. go on a long run together....where eventually I'm too tired to talk anymore so I have no choice but to listen! ha. Thanks for the kind words about my FKT (honored association my arse) and great job to you at the Mudder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, I thought you like my lies and tall tales! "No choice but to listen." I'm going to talk the entire time on our next run.

      Delete
  7. Great to meet you on Sunday, Jason! Glad the Mudder was well worth the drive. As a beard afficionado, I'm curious to see how this "goat beard" works out. Be well. Hope to cross paths later in the year (Rothrock/Jupiters?).

    Leon
    http://thisbeesknees.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to meet you as well Leon. I doubt my "goat beard" ever matches your beard. I have never actually had any beard before. It's something different to do and I've never seen anyone grow one just in this spot before. Look forward to seeing you later in the summer.

      jb

      Delete
  8. A beard is a beard is a beard, I say. Good luck with it. I enjoyed reading your recap so much, I shared a link to it in my own race report: http://thisbeesknees.blogspot.com/2012/03/me-all-fall-down.html Check it out, if you have a second. Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the link, glad you posted your blog address. Sounds like your race was quite eventfully. Also sounds like we'd be somewhat similar minds to hang out at a race again sometime.

      Delete
  9. Sweet, man. That is definitely a long ways to drive for 7 miles. And yes, Mark did indeed crush the FHT FKT. Crazy fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, Mark is sick. Hey, I'm looking forward to pacing at Umstead. Alison should also be good for a lap, her friend is not running now. We'll communicate sometime soon.

      Delete