Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Building Milage with Friends

Not too much going on the last couple of weeks. I've been working my milage back up and trying to work my weight back down. I've gotten in 63 and 71 miles the first two weeks of the year. That was a quick build up from my time off, but I was ready to get running again. Since starting back running my weekly milage was 13, 40, 40, 63, 71. The highlight of the last couple of weeks, and really the whole winter, has been running with friends. Alison and I went out to Asheville this weekend to hang out with Mark and Anne Lundblad. We drove down to the Foothills Trail along the NC/SC border for a long run. We got in 34 miles with about 6300' of climbing in 5 hours and 40 minutes. That was my longest run since July. I was fatigued at the end, but enjoyed running somewhere new and running with Mark. I wish we lived closer and could train more together.

I have also gotten in several runs with Cory who continues to be a "bad influence on me." Telling me all his crazy college stories and then encouraging my foolishness. "The bad influence" comment has kind of become a running joke. Our runs become like not running at all or more like running without any effort or trying. We just meet up and the next thing I know a hour or two have passed, as well as 6, 8, or 15 miles. I've observed that the friendship around running is one of the things I enjoy most about the sport, especially within the trail running community.

I'll leave you with a Cory comment during a recent trail run on which I had another nose bleed. Cory said, "I'm rather envious that I don't have a nose bleed so I could shove some mountain laurel leaves up my nose. Seriously."

No comments:

Post a Comment